Friday, December 5, 2008

Losing Tan, Learning Language

Wisking whipped cream at Thanksgiving (Laney obviously thinks I'm strange)

Helsinki at Christmas

Shaun, Jason and Mikko carving the Thanksgiving turkey

Window display at Stockmann's (major department store)

The Luthern Church in Helsinki

It's been another fun filled week in Finland. We have officially been in Finland four weeks tomorrow. I've noticed my tan beginning to fade, I'm looking a little pale in pictures. The sun peaked out today for about five minutes and Delaney shouted in excitement, "The sun, the sun!! Look!" The sun comes out about 9:30 am and sets about 3:30 pm. It's a wild adjustment.

We had language class back to back this week. Totally HARSH. I was doing my homework for the class and thought I had stuff down. I was thinking yeah, I've got it!! I show my work to the tutor and OF COURSE it's all wrong. Today our tutor has us write some dialogue then wanted us to speak it. I write it out and then he says flip your paper over and tell me what you wrote. FIRST OF ALL...I couldn't even remember what I had written in English. I start to panic, I feel tears coming to me. I am looking at this man, saying to myself, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM SUPPOSED TO SAY!! Needless to say, I did not have a good day at class.
Last night we attended a small group bible study. They are going through a study on missions and they invited us to tell about our journey into missions. It was great fellowship with other believers.
PRAISE: I went to get my hair cut and got to share with the stylist what we were doing in Finland and why we were here. I plan to go to her again, pray that I might build a relationship with her and get to tell her more about our Savior.
PRAISE: The last two days have been like a miracle from the Lord. Delaney has been a different child, behaving better. Continue to pray for her adjustment period.

6 comments:

Cindi Smith said...

Praise the Lord about Delaney! I hope this is a permanent change and will pray to that end!

I feel for you and the language training. Hang in there...we'll be praying about that!

Love the pictures...keep 'em coming!

Love you!

Jaclyn.... said...

Yay for christmas displays and opportunities to share the good news!

And I totally feel your pain on the language lessons. My eyes fill up with tears quite often with that! Keep pressing on and maybe we can actually say something to each other in our languages in Greece. :)

3T Heppenstall said...

Learning a new language is so difficult but I know God will help you through. He has great plans for you and He will give you the abilities that you need.

And Praise God for Delaney!!! I definitely understand how relieving it is when you have some good days with your child as our new foster son acts up almost every day. I will definitely be praying that Delaney's good behavior continues and that God will work on her heart.

Erin said...

I'm so excited to read about Delaney! I was praying for her all week.

Sorry about your tan...and lanugage. I understand that total frustration that makes you want to scream.

Hang in there!

Heather Hekman said...

I will be praying for you. Glad you are taking advantage of the opportunities God is giving you and that you are adjusting so well to all the newness.

Sara said...

Lovely pictures you´ve taken!!

Who said Finnish language is easy?! ;) I mean even I have troubles with it. Just keep working hard and you´ll get there!! Just remember that Finns really appreciate the little you can speak, and when you start to speak a little you´ll notice how well we can understand you even if you couldn´t say much at all. :)