Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Vampires, Mummies and Christmas Eve







As I'm sure for most of you the holiday season has FLOWN by. We had a wonderful first Christmas in Finland. We attend church here with an American family from Utah (no they actually aren't Mormon), they invited us over for Christmas Eve dinner. We ate turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie. I do love most of Finland's food but a girl has to have her pumpkin pie!! It was nice to have the tastes of home. On Christmas Eve most families in Finland will go to the cemetery and place candles on the grave of a loved one who has passed away. We went out after dinner to the cemetery and it was absolutely beautiful (spooky, but beautiful), there were candles everywhere. At one point I did feel like I was in an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Anyways.....

The past two weeks I've been having a hard time figuring out what my place is here. I feel like I'm not doing enough or giving enough or not being used enough. God totally answered my question. I was able to have a girl over for lunch and got to pray with her and encourage her. Please continue to pray that we might have more opportunities like these.

Tonight is New Year's Eve and there is quite a show going on outside our window. It's like the Fourth of July here. People are able to buy serious fireworks so we're in for a LOUD night. Delaney thinks she's at Disneyland!!

4 comments:

Jaclyn.... said...

loved the pics, heather!

and fyi...i often wonder about my "place" and if I am really doing anything. Sounds like a LIE from the enemy. Just know you're not alone. God will show us our places. :)

Mary Ann McMillan said...

love the pics as well! and i often have thoughts about that as well and what my "place" is here..and Jaclyn is right..but you are not alone and God will show us our place :) Happy New Year!

Cindi Smith said...

If the whole world over-looks you God will see you, Jesus will stop and notice you, and He will help you make a difference. You are special in so many ways, Heather. I'm always praying that you will find your place in Finland. In reality we're all struggling to find a way to make a difference as followers of Christ. Keep seeking Him...love you! Mom

Sara said...

It´s great reading abour your x-mas and I´m glad you had a good one!! It might have been especially hard since you were away from family and friends!!