Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sauna? Say What?











It's Sunday evening and we just returned from a fun filled weekend visiting our future city of residence, Jyvaskyla. We met with a supporting church and Jason shared about our plans for the church plant. The Finnish church was warm and welcoming. We stayed with a WONDERFUL couple from the church who plan to be part of the church plant.

While Jason was at a youth event I stayed at home with Tina and our children. This couple happened to have a sauna in their home (well almost everyone does). Tina asked me, "Have you been to sauna yet?" And I said no, I hadn't yet. She told me we had to do sauna and that it's a wonderful experience. In my mind I was preparing for the big "unrobing." Yes, they go to sauna naked. I kept thinking you have to do this Heather! You can't go in your bathing suit, you're living in Finland now!! Do as the FINNISH do! Tina put the wood in the sauna and said it would be a while for it to heat up. Jason comes home and after a few minutes, Tina said so are you and Jason ready for SAUNA? Come to find out, she just heated it for Jason and I. I got so worked up for nothing, however, I now know I'm ready (maybe a few crunches shy) for the sauna, come that day. It was a great EXPERIENCE and it was nice to unwind, it put us right to sleep.

It has snowed this weekend like none other. We got off the train close to 9:30pm and we had a bit of a walk ahead of us. The snow was so deep the stroller was useless. Delaney went CRAZY, she hated walking in the snow. I was dragging a stoller and screaming child while wind and snow are blowing in my face at below freezing temperatures. The Lord is teaching me a lot about my attitude and life with a three year old. As we were walking through this snow storm I stopped and thought MY LIFE HAS COMPLETELY CHANGED!! Many Finnish people have asked, "Why are you living in Finland?" Tonight I thought to myself, "What the heck am I doing in Finland?" I was shortly reminded that God has sent us and weather will pass (hopefully).

Jason was a big encouragement tonight because I was in serious freak out mode when we got home. He told me to blog about it, so I did. I feel better!

6 comments:

Cindi Smith said...

Wow, what an adventure! Wish I could be there to be support to you during these crazy times. Glad you enjoyed the sauna...love you!

Cathy M said...

Heather, I grew up in Michigan so I could totally relate to your story of dealing with the elements. On one hand snow can be beautiful, but it can also challenge your day! I guess the best piece of advice I could give is: Enjoy it! I have some wonderful memories of playing in the snow. BTW, don't eat the yellow stuff! Love you! Cathy

Jaclyn.... said...

Oh, man, Heather!
I am imagining Delaney going crazy in the snow!

Also, glad you got to enjoy the sauna with Jason instead of naked people you don't know well. :)

Keep bringing the sunshine into people's life :)

Sheila P said...

Hey Heath, you are my hero! Just the fact that you are so open to people make me look at my outreach mode. The elements will pass and change and your faith and strength will continue to grow. Just look at how far you have come, just being open to the fact of being naked in a sauna with others(!), dealing with a screaming Delaney in blowing snow, and so many changes in the last three months! You go girl!

Heather Hekman said...

Glad to hear of your new adventures! God is working in you!

Erin said...

Oh Heather...I'm so sorry about all the snow. Cold weather is just no fun. I've decided.

I'm so glad that you had an easy sauna-breaking-in experience. You can totally do it!