Saturday, November 15, 2008

First Week Complete








Our first week has been exciting. Last night was our first language class, very interesting. We had our language tutor and his wife over for dinner, I was so nervous entertaining in another country. It was great. We found out our tutor is Finland's 4th ranked squash player (it's like racquetball) The wife watched Delaney while we had our lesson.

Today I made cupcakes for a birthday party we were attending. Everything was going well until I got to the frosting. Something here is different, the butter, the powdered sugar, I couldn't figure it out. The frosting turned out sad, it wouldn't get thick. I improvised and put it in the middle of the cupcake (like a ding dong) Needless to say I cried, got frustrated and got over it.

Today Jason, Delaney and I tried to deliver cupcakes to the neighbors on our floor. No one was home so we delivered them to the family that lives above us. They actually invited us in and Delaney played with their boys and we got to talk with the husband. We were told that Finns don't normally invite you into their home the first time they meet you, that was a PRAISE!!

I have to say, I really LOVE it here. I do miss home but there is just something great about this place. Helsinki is beautiful and we can't wait to post pictures during Christmas time. I've posted a few pictures of our place. More pictures are to come. We don't take our camera out alot because it's ALWAYS raining. It's been a GREAT first week. Thank you for your prayers and love.

4 comments:

3T Heppenstall said...

Your place is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I'm so excited for you guys! Can't wait to see more pics.

Erin said...

Oh Heather...I'm sorry about the frosting. I'm sure that they were great ding dong-like creations. How is Delaney liking life in general?

Sheila P said...

Your home is so cute! It looks just like you guys. Delaney looks like she has grown already. There must be something in the air that agrees with her. Love you all and hug each other for me!

Charissa and her Men said...

Hi Heather,
I love your blog!!! This is sooo great! Keep the updates coming! Your apartment is too cute!!!!
Oh...and I would have loved your cupcakes!!!