Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Life as a Soundtrack

Okay, so I feel like there are a thousand things I could see myself doing in life and one of those things was writing music or movie reviews. I didn't think I could be a very good movie reviewer because I just LOVE all movies, even the really stupid ones. I think I have seen maybe 3 or 4 movies that I just couldn't stand but other than that I just like to watch movies. What can I say, I'm easily entertained! However, music reviews I could have done. I love all types of music. Some of my favorites include Jimmy Buffett, UB40, Billy Joel, Paul Simon, Sting, Coldplay, Etta James, Harry Connick Jr., Eric Clapton, Kenny Chesney, Jars of Clay, John Mayer, Norah Jones, Sade, Sarah McLachlan, Tim McGraw, U2, Michael Buble, Fleetwood Mac, Fiona Apple, the list goes on. I love almost every genre of music, however, there are a few I just can't stand. I can not listen to HEAVY METAL, it hurts my head. I do like some HIP HOP but most of it has lyrics that aren't so fabulous.

I love how music can take you to a certain place, can bring back certain emotions, can be an escape. If you didn't already know our daughter's name, Delaney, came from a Jimmy Buffett song. I remember listening to that song when I was in high school on my dad's boat thinking if I ever had a daughter I had to name her Delaney. I remember driving in the car with my mom listening to the oldies station (which has always been one of my favorite) and her saying, "I remember this was my favorite song in the 8th grade and I had a crush on..."

Do you have a soundtrack to your life? Do you have those songs that represent certain times of your life? Do you have a song that helped you get through the bad times of your life? Do you remember being obsessed with a certain song and playing it over and over, driving the rest of your family crazy? Here's my goal...I want to compile a list of songs that would be entitled "The Soundtrack to my life..." What songs would be included in your soundtrack? Something to chew on.

One artist you must have in your music collection is ENYA. I recently bought some music for the Ipod and I came across Enya. I've always loved Enya and I have found the GREATEST compilation of her songs. The album is entitled "Paint the Sky with Stars, The Best of Enya." This album has 16 songs and if you buy it from Itunes it's only $9.99. This album is actually 11 years old but it really is the BEST of her stuff. If I could recommend any album this would be it. I put it on my Ipod and my walks have been a thousand times more enjoyable. A few of these songs will definitely be on my "Life Soundtrack."

5 comments:

Sheila P said...

I hear ya girlfriend. Music sets the tone for my day. Right now I am totally into Abba music because I loved the movie Mamma Mia! I can be in the worst mood and put this on and the next thing I know I am beboppin and smilin! Another song for now is Toby Mac's "Lose My Soul", it keeps me grounded and reminds me of what's important. Thanks Heath for reminding me what music does for me. Love ya dear, Sheila

3T Heppenstall said...

I also use to listen to the oldies station all the time. I just loved that almost all the songs were upbeat and you couldn't help but remember the words or the beat. I don't listen to too much music these days but I have always like the Enya type peaceful music. Also, I really love the song "In the Light" and "My Will" by DC Talk. They're kinda old but I really think they keep my mind on things of God.

Jaclyn.... said...

Christmas isn't the same unless I'm listening to it Beach Boys style. My dad whips out the Beach Boys Christmas album every year and i jam out to "Little Saint Nick".

Erin said...

Heather! I just found your blog. I feel so connected to you now.

Tisha Hickerson said...

Heather... I love reading your blog.